[Glastonbury] Linux's latest...

peter.t.cole peter.t.cole at lineone.net
Mon Apr 26 18:01:15 BST 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-26 at 11:58, Damon Chaplin wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-04-26 at 03:04, Nick Irwin wrote:
> > Well, just thought I'd provoke some conversation about the latest Linux
> > developments.
> >
> > I installed Mandrake 10.0 today and took a plunge in the deep end with the 2.6
> > Kernel! I'm also onto KDE 3.2 and ALSA sound among other things.

Yep I have it on my laptop i un-installed knoppix to do it,I think on
the whole MDK10. looks quite polished id does not seem as buggy as 9.2.
When knoppix comes out with the 2.6 kernel i will probably swap back

> I tried to install Debian 3 yesterday, since I've been thinking of
> switching to Debian for a while.

Try Knoppix and do a hard drive install.

> I think I've changed my mind! I had nothing but trouble, and still can't
> get X running (with an nvidia geforce 5200 - not exactly a rare card!)
>
> I wish they'd focus on quality rather than quantity a bit more. (They
> try to support too many packages on too many architectures, and fail.)
>

> > First things first, Kernel 2.6..... well being an average Joe of a user, it
> > doesn't really make much difference to me, but I'm so glad that my CD-writer
> > no longer has to be emulated as a SCSI drive, load up times seem faster in
> > places and thats about it. Oh and I managed to confuse KDE to the point where
> > it couldn't tell me what Kernel I was using - had to re-install to solve that
> > little gem.
>
> I've got Robert Love's book about the 2.6 kernel, which is pretty
> interesting (for a hacker).
>

> > Another niggle is that now whenever I use the scroll wheel on my mouse it
> > affects the bottom scroll bar not the side one...... how this ended up being
> > the case I may never know, maybe someone thought it was a good default.
>
> Does your /etc/X11/XF86Config have this line in the mouse section:
>
>         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>
> I don't know KDE. Maybe you can also configure it there.
>
> Damon

I won't be able to make the meeting next week.

Is there any one else in the Wincanton area in the Lug, i saw a post on
the website form some one.

Regards

Peter Cole