[Glastonbury] DHCP and fixed IP addresses

Rick Fitzsimmons rickfitzsimmons at iname.com
Fri Dec 3 16:07:19 GMT 2004

Hi again,

On Wednesday evening, a couple of people were asking about DHCP
operation, and specifically setting up fixed address leases. To
summarise, you can specify fixed settings for individual hosts by
specifying their MAC addresses in the /etc/dhcpd.conf file. This means
that all your IP address allocation can be set in one place, including
fixed items like servers etc. This also allows control of dns addresses,
default route (gateway) etc, although these are normally done per
sub-net rather than per-host.
Add to this a dns proxy that uses the server's own resolver, and you can
set up a single hosts file that is effectively used throughout the
network. Then all IP address administration is in one place (i.e. all
eggs in one basket).
(I don't claim to be real expert on this, but I've made it work. Feel
free to correct / amend / add to what I've said!)

<Asbestos suit>
I generally use webmin to administer all this sort of stuff, as I can
never remember the syntax. Anyone care to start a heated exchange of
views on webmin? ;-)
</Asbestos suit>

And finally - if you're using an appliance like an ADSL router or
wireless AP to do DNS, the "advanced" stuff might not be in the
browser-driven configuration options. On my Draytek Vigor router, I have
to telnet in to set up dhcp leases and the like. Check the
manufacturer's support pages (good luck).

Cheers,
Rick.