[Glastonbury] bits

Martin Wheeler mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Tue Dec 7 22:47:33 GMT 2004

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Sean Miller wrote:

> List e-mail replies should go to the list....
>
> ...this is the way that 99% of lists work, how people expect them to work

  .. as I said, only if they've been brought up on Yahoo! and AOL and
don't know any better :)

>  the idea is that person
> 'A' says "I am having a problem", person 'B' says "I have it too" and then
> person 'C' provides the solution and the whole list gets to see it....

Gosh!  How perspicacious of you, Sean!  I see you've finally sussed what
a list is for!  I'm *soo-o-o* glad you decided to share your discovery
with us.

> In Martin's config person 'B' would reply to person 'A' and nobody else would
> benefit! That is not "community"... is it?

You a curtain-twitcher or something?  The assumption is that even on a
list, the privacy of *any* communication is paramount; the decision to
inform *everyone* of what might be a private opinion has to be consciously
made, rather than be the default (and perhaps unwanted) action.

Still, horses for courses ...

There are two very good website pages putting the pros and cons of both
sides, which doubtless someone will post.

Meanwhile, as moderator of the list I'm seriously thinking of censoring
all mails which impugn my character in any way ..