[Glastonbury] more wiki

Alan Pope alan.pope at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 22:46:41 GMT 2004

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:25:50 +0000 (GMT), Martin Wheeler
<mwheeler at startext.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, tim hall wrote:
>
> > What about:
> > http://instiki.org
>
> Tim __
>
> Thanks very much for the heads-up on instiki.
>
> I've been getting rather discouraged with wikis lately; mainly because of
> the difficulty of indexing large collections of documents; keeping track
> of information; trying to find orphaned pages within the wiki; etc.
> Plus, I'm tending to work more on single, linearly sequential large
> documents these days; and wikis are great for *collecting* (and sometimes
> ordering) disparate clumps of information; but not very good as a tool for
> assembling them.
>
> So I've rather gone off the idea of using wikis.

Seriously Martin, have a look at the HantsLUG wiki
http://www.hants.lug.org.uk/ we have massive amounts of information in
there, nicely structured, and *automatically* searchable. We have
suffered in the past with spammers from the far east (I wouldn't go as
far as you have on your wiki - I think they're just spammers plain and
simple), but a couple of our members have developed patches for usemod
wiki to curb it, and we are down to almost no spam attacks at all.

The big benefit with wikis is the edit-ability. Anyone anywhere can
add/change/delete anything they like. If they make a typo, so what,
someone else will pick it up later..

It's great, I'm a fan, but I'm a fan because I've used it a lot.

Just my 2p.

Cheers,
Al.