[Glastonbury] KANOTIX

peter cole peter.t.cole at lineone.net
Sat Dec 18 20:55:05 GMT 2004

Following Greg mentioning Kanotix, i though i try it out on my laptop.

2 reasons

first it is not a mix of testing and unstable ( so i hope less issues
with upgrades)As Knoppix upgrade has broken the pcmcia support not much
help when that is the lan access !!!
second Memphis that i was also going to try for the same reason was
horrible running form CD much slower than knoppix and kanotix.

I am impressed it correctly picked up the webcam ( knoppix did not do
this)
also the sound worked onthe laptop with out having to write a script to
get it to work ( this may be becasue ofr the newer kernel?) i just had
to use alsaconf ( i think tht was what it was called ) to get the sound
working

I have not tried as root but access for a digital camera has not been
set up Digikam can't connect.

The printer i have has various smart card readers built into it as far
as i can tell these have been set up OK.

By the way all of this was done on a IBM600e laptop 128 meg P300 with 6
gig HD 1.8 Gig for Win98 ( this is to allow my 2 1/2 year old to run
some cd's) and the rest was for linux.

It also configured Grub fine to dual boot.
Which most installs do these days
Regards

Peter