[Glastonbury] New to it

peter cole peter.t.cole at lineone.net
Sat Dec 18 21:02:51 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-12-18 at 11:19, mauricemail wrote:

> Kelvin McNulty introduced the topic of disk partitioning. After several
> years of costly mistakes I do seem to have sorted that problem. Until the
> next mess-up, of course. I decided to install a Linux distro on a separate
> hard drive partitioning the drive in such a way that I had some fat32 space
> for temporary m$ backup from the other drive. I unplugged the other drive
> for belt and braces security. Now I use a bios facility to select the boot
> drive from a menu which comes up if  you press F8 at boot up time.

Yes i have done it that way as well but before i realised you could
switch over in the bios so i was unplugging cables !!! this was when i
first started out using Linux

I would not recommend using the mbr on the first disk toinstall lilo or
grub to carry on booting the second disk with linx ( i know you have not
done this)
I did it this way for a while but the windows  hard disk ( disk one
died) and it screwed the access to the second drive for booting even the
floppy boot disk did not work as it was looking for the first disk.

> So I have the 10.1 Mandrake distro successfully installed. Now here begineth
> the real head-aches!
>
> We have a broadband router/modem. Has four network connections plus one usb.
> One of us connects using an Ethernet cable, I use the usb. I also have an
> Ethernet card and for Linux thought it better to connect that to the router
> too. M$ has always performed perfectly through the usb (honest). Mandrake
> didn't connect. After lots of tweaking it did and then after a period of
> time (5 to 15 minutes) disconnects all by itself. Will often work again if I
> re-boot. The Ethernet connection is being used. Any thoughts on what may be
> causing this problem would be welcomed.

Not sure on that one but form what i have read most recommend sticking
with ethernet access not usb

> And hurrah. The connection was maintained just long enough to download the
> Firefox browser. I used Ark without knowing why. Happily Firefox  installed
> itself without a problem and launched automatically at the end of the set-up
> process. By that time, of course, the internet connection had gone down.
> Re-booted to see if the connection would re-establish and couldn't find
> Firefox. I've found a Firefox folder but cannot discover an executable file.
> Any assistance would be welcomed.

I am sure that you have tried what every one else has offerd in the way
of searching. the executable file may be in /usr/bin Justa thought