[Glastonbury] New to it

maurice mail at mauricebutler.co.uk
Wed Dec 29 07:48:06 GMT 2004

Two or three weeks into my Mandrake Linux Installation:

Success:
Firefox installed and working
Broadband internet connection established through Router/modem
Epson 1290 printer connected and working well
Skype downloaded and installed fine

Most of the software installed with distro working fine:
 for example OpenOffice suit, Konquerer, Gimp, Kopete, KMail, CD Player etc

Some disappointments:
Java downloaded and works with Koquerer but not Firefox
RealPlayer downloaded but BBC will not connect (Konquerer looking for
cook.50.60)
Rosegarden midi sequencer downloaded and installed runs well but will not
create sound (jackd)
Kmid installed from distro CD. Looks good but doesn't seem to want to play.
Haven't yet successfully mounted the usb card reader so I can import the
images from my digital cameras. Also Windows partition (used for file storage
only) seems to be recognised but not yet mounted. Seems I don't have
permission.

Well aware that I'm trying to get applications running without sufficient
knowledge of Linux and the learning curve seems huge - little or no light on
the horizon. Have to ask how much do I need to learn just to install
applications successfully?

The help I've gratefully received here has moved me forward but often I'm just
as confused.

Well aware that a lot of generous developers have made this all happen and
there is absolutely no room for complaint

Guess I must re-inforce my belief that patience is a virtue:-) And come to the
monthly meetings just to see what can be done. Inspiration required:-)