[Glastonbury] March poster

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Sun Feb 22 05:01:45 GMT 2004

On Saturday 21 February 2004 10:32 am, Kelvin McNulty wrote:
[snip]
> He runs on Windows and as soon as he accessed the LUGOG site his browser (a
> recent IE on Windows 2000) started throwing errors. It was just a little
> embarrassing as he knows I am fussy about standards... he made some comment
> about non-standards complient Linux browsers... and I know this is an issue
> because I do find that Konqueror, Mozilla and Netscape (the three browsers
> that I have) do render things very differently from each other.

Mozilla & Netscape ARE standards compliant AFAIK. Not so sure about IE :-]

[snip]
> there are multiple errors on relatively few lines so it would
> probably not be as bad as it looks to fix. However, being that the site is
> generated by Mambo, I know not what sort of changes one would have to make.

Surely it's all PHP?

> I think that if we want other people (most of whom run on Windows) to be
> able to look at our site we should fix it so it complies with the Web's
> standards with which even Microsoft have to comply. I am willing to have a
> look at it but have no knowledge whatsoever of Mambo. I imagine that to fix
> it would mean modifying Mambo's scripts, which could be a right
> minefield... maybe the level on which it should be tackled is by submitting
> a bug report to the Mambo writers.

Weblint returned 540 errors on the generated html of the front page - most of
them were things like missing ALT tags and lack of proper quotes, things that
few browsers really have problems with.

I think we have the skills between us to have a look at the scripts and get
some idea whether this really IS a bug. Perhaps we just need to do some
file-tuning? It now displays right in Konqueror.

cheers

tim hall