[Glastonbury] "An Open Source Horror Story" article....

Damon Chaplin damon at karuna.uklinux.net
Sat Feb 28 13:26:12 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-28 at 07:48, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 05:54:17AM -0000, Sean Miller wrote:
> > See http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > Sean
> >
> ESR ranting :)  Printing always has been difficult - but is
> getting easier (msw never believes me on this one :) )
> CUPS is hard to set up but easy once its done but it may be
> over egging the pudding and adding too many features.

Yes, printing has been really awkward, if not impossible, for years.

Actually CUPS is a big step forward. Everyone seems to be moving over to
it, so at last we have one model for printer drivers.
(Though I think the person/company that develops CUPS keeps their best
drivers proprietary.)

> Many of the user interface comments are good - but see also,
> for example, many of the comments posted on Slashdot.
>
> Bottom line: don't use Fedora, its graphical configuration tools
> suck? [Which was the conclusion that many of the /.'ers came to -
> too many inconsistent configuration mechanisms due to "clever
> packaging" by the various distributions]

Yes, that is really annoying about the distros. It would be extremely
beneficial for the Linux community if they all cooperated on one set of
polished GUI configuration tools. But they prefer to keep their own
ones, which are often pretty bad.

Damon

(I helped write the Print Manager, by the way. But not the config
tools!)