[Glastonbury] Knoppix install

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 2 21:07:53 GMT 2004

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 05:55:58AM +0000, tim hall wrote:
> On Thursday 01 January 2004 14:43, peter wrote:
> > Well i hope that every one had a good new-year.
>
> Hang on, it's only just started :-)
>
> > I have been playing a little with my laptop that was running Mandrake
> > 9.2 Which i am afraid to say i found a little flakey!
>
> Mm, had similar experience myself.
>
> > I wanted to install Knoppix onto it for some time but could not because
> > of the partitions. ( more of which later)
>
> Doesn't the Knoppix installer allow you to repartition the HD? the Linux
> version of fdisk should work. Anyway, you're clearly past this point.
>
> [snip]
>
> > Know for the question how do i stop Knoppix logging straight into KDE
> > with out asking for a login?
>
> There isn't much substitute for getting to grips with the boot sequence here.
> AFAIK Knoppix is Debian based. In that case boot operations begin with init,
> which reads /etc/inittab at boot-time. This file should provide you with some
> of the info you need. First you need to make a note of what your default
> runlevel is (probably 2, but YMMV).
>
> The scripts that are linked to from /etc/rc?.d (where ? is the number of your
> default runlevel, so in this case /etc/rc2.d) define what daemons get
> launched on start-up. The scripts are all held in /etc/init.d - the login
> screen is provided by a display manager - one of xdm, kdm, gdm or wdm (I
> don't know if there are others), which is linked to on my box by a link
> called /etc/rc2.d/S99gdm - S99 is pretty much the end of the boot sequence.
>
> You need to find the point at which it calls up KDE and comment it out. If
> you already followed Nick's suggestion this step may be unnecessary.
>
> > I have added a user for myself from Kuser running as root.
If you do Ctrl-Alt-F1 from within X, you'll get a command line.

Stuff about root below is also listed in the README IIRC.

Default password for root in Knoppix is either a null password or
knoppix - I forget which and it may be version specific.

As root, type passwd and CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD :)

Since it's Debian based, if you need to add users at a later date,
use the adduser program (as root).