[Glastonbury] Knoppix install

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Sat Jan 3 01:06:27 GMT 2004

On Friday 02 January 2004 20:11, peter wrote:
> Thanks for the above i will try later and see how i get on. if not i
> will reinstall from CD again and chose Debain look rather than the
> Knoppix look. may be this has something to do with it!

Generally speaking it should be possible to fix things without reinstalling
or even rebooting, unless of course you are specifically prompted to do so,
tho' I do appreciate that it's often quicker to reboot than to work out which
service to restart. I don't know about Knoppix-specific stuff. I wouldn't
have thought look & feel settings would affect it, but maybe it affects
boot-up style ... (?)

> > You need to find the point at which it calls up KDE and comment it out.
> > If you already followed Nick's suggestion this step may be unnecessary.
>
> Yes i have gone into the KDE control centre and looked at the bootup not
> to auto login and show the users so i can login normally but this does
> not seemed to have worked

Generally speaking, I don't trust a GUI to do anything unless I've seen the
config file for myself. It's important to work out the sequence of events
your box is going through when it boots. There's a multiplicity of ways X can
be called - it sounds like your box is using 'xinit', which is configured
using a file called .xinitrc, this could be called through a frontend script
like 'startx' the manpages for these will provide some useful clues.

The other solution I can think of would be to make the system launch one of
the display managers at boottime, it might override the existing setting. (?)
You could try running:
#update-rc.d gdm start 99 2 3 4 5
The list of space-separated numbers after 99 is the list of runlevels you
want this to affect then reboot or rerun 'init' (see manpage)

I have no idea whether this will work on your system, so it's worth checking
out the Knoppix documentation on this. Let us know how you get on.

HTH

tim hall