[Glastonbury] OOo and MySQL = Sorted!

Rob Cornelius root at htmler.org
Mon Jan 26 18:59:41 GMT 2004

Well its been quite a day... But worth it.

Everything is working now. Got Open Office talking to a MySQL server on
another machine and got these rather Microsoft people working with it...
and actually enjoying it

I did get a lot of help from
http://www.cobolscript.com/profunix.htm
I cant take the credit myself. Basically compile the ODBC stuff... rpms
just dont seem to work (at least on Mandrake 9.1)

Although I am a dedicated SQL purist myself and never use graphical
tools normally the database component of Open Office is excellent.

You define your datasource (once) and create a query.  This can be
either through typing SQL or in a graphical designer /very/ simillar to
Access. Unlike Access though Open Office seems to be a lot better at
converting SQL you manually enter to a graphical representation.

The best bit is how the data components integrate with the rest of the
package. There is no separate "Access" program. Everything is done from
within a spreadsheet or word processor docuement. Ok the query designer
is in a separate window. Once you have saved your query you can then see
it in a tree view of "objects" associated with that datasource. To get
the data from that query into your docuement simply drag and drop the
query icon from the data pane onto the document pane!

This bit to my mind is far easier than messing around exporting data
with Access into Word or Excel. It even made the Microsoft nuts at this
company sit up and take notice. Especially as I told them the
spreadsheet data can be saved as Excel.

It was worth it....

Rob