[Glastonbury] laptop movies

Martin WHEELER mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Tue Jun 1 02:31:11 BST 2004

On Mon, 31 May 2004, Martin WHEELER wrote:

> Whilst I'm on the subject : anyone got any tips as to what to use to
> view video clips (.avi)s from my camera?

Replying to my own question here:  the answer is totem.

A fantastic package -- apt-get install totem; and a few minutes later I
have an app. running under X which will not only play my .avis, but
which *also* plays my DVDs perfectly; plays audio CDs giving me pretty
coloured swirly patterns on the screen as well (maybe not as good as
synaesthesia, but *very* Glastonbury, nonetheless); AND allows me to
take screenshots and do various bits of editing to boot.  Neat.

Playing DVDs has always been a bit of a problem with the Tosh. Satellite
-- it has a weirdo DVD/CD-RW combo drive and a soundcard which nothing
likes, so being able to do all of the above whilst retaining the ability
to play my mp3s and oggs from the command line is a boon.

Ogle simply refuses to work on this machine; and xine plays beautiful
moving video, but is otherwise totally mute, so totem is definitely the
way to go.  I really can't be arsed to spend a week and a half getting
either of them to play with my hardware (I've had both working before,
but it was painful); even xmms can be choosy about whether it wants to
play or not.

Just thought you might be interested in the solution.  (And thanks to
Andy for testing it out first over the network.)

msw