[Glastonbury] anyone been watching wimbledon?

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Wed Jun 23 16:26:46 BST 2004

Last Tuesday 22 June 2004 18:25, steve was like:

The BBC are slowly integrating various bits of opensource software into
mainstream production. They already use free video codecs and a certain
amount of opensource editing applications.

I have the impression that much of this is being outsourced from 3rd party
providers, who are not necessarily providing 100% opensource implementations
at the moment. I don't know how much is 'in-house' but BBC R&D do seem to be
taking a very active interest in this area. I do know that deadlined
production staff don't appreciate being used as beta testers, however, so it
may be some time before opensource becomes the accepted standard. That said,
the BBC's interest and support has got to be a massive leap forward.

cheers

--tim