[Glastonbury] STRODE and Linux

Martin WHEELER mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Wed Mar 3 17:34:47 GMT 2004

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Richard Bown wrote:

> I dropped by Strode college in Street this morning (thanks Mike) to give
> Adrian Smith and his class a demo of Linux Audio stuff.  There was a lot of
> interest in it from the students and from Adrian

Excellent!

(Let's hope it isn't stifled for them.)

> some point soonish to try out Linux Audio.  Alternatively we might be able to
> dual boot one of their existing machines.  This will be a good way to get the
> students trialling Linux and the audio software (which is of particular
> interest to me of course).

Even more excellent!

> * secondly, and probably more importantly, that we could possibly have a Linux
> install day at the college.

Yo!  I *LOVE* it!

> If we could get interest for an install day at either Strode or St Dunstans
> (or perhaps both) then it would make sense for everyone with install
> experience to get hands on with a few people's machines and take things
> forward.

Count me in.

>  Could be interesting

[Absolutely NO comment.  ;-]

> Additionally, anyone have any thoughts about getting a Linux Audio/LUGOG stall
> at the festival this year?  It'd be nice to be able to demo free music
> software amongst other things to the festival goers.  Provided we could get
> some festival-proof, wind driven computers from somewhere of course!

I suggest we go for it -- and sugar the offer with a further offer of
our expertise in networking the whole site (802.11b all over Pilton,
anyone?  Bring your laptop, and join in the party.  Come on folks; you
know it's going to happen one day; so why not make it now?)
We'll run a festival-site-only website with as-it-happens music reviews,
bulletin boards for those who've lost their tents / heads / whatever;
and patch the best stuff out into BBC / external sites.
With on-site musique-a-gogo of course.

> I've been up to the Sounds Expo with the newly formed LinuxAudio consortium
> recently (http://www.linuxaudio.org) and I'm sure they'd certainly lend their
> backing to this.  Rosegarden/Fervent Software certainly would in whatever
> (financially limited) way we can.  We might be able to get some interest from
> bigger sponsors if we could get some kind of a start on this.

I say, go for it -- as soon as possible.  (There's only about 11 weeks
to go.)

Richard -- can you give me a ring on (01458) 83-1103 as soon as poss?

See youse all next Weds.
Cheers,