[Glastonbury] STRODE and Linux

Kelvin McNulty kelvin24 at gcircle.co.uk
Wed Mar 3 22:20:21 GMT 2004

Just realised I sent this with the wrong FROM address - apologies to moderator
and for doubling up the message...

On Wednesday 03 March 2004 20:09, Sean Miller wrote:
> > Additionally, anyone have any thoughts about getting a Linux
> > Audio/LUGOG stall
> > at the festival this year?  It'd be nice to be able to demo free music
> > software amongst other things to the festival goers.  Provided we
> > could get
> > some festival-proof, wind driven computers from somewhere of course!

Military-grade laptops? ToughBooks?

> That sounds a fantastic idea... certainly one worth exploring, except that
> I fear Mr Eavis and his cronies would want far far more money than we could
> offer as a voluntary open community.... :-(

Well, it could be worth asking them... nothing to lose... they might even
value the on-site communications offered by 802.11. Not that one has to have
Linux for that...

...but personally I am unlikely to want to go, having done about 6 serious
stints of various things at that Festival, but it was fun at the time. There
really is no harm in asking GFL (Glastonbury Festivals Ltd) if they'd be
willing to offer some tickets in exchange for the provision of services to
punters. I have worked with the Festival Radio station which managed to get
quite substantial support from GFL (including a portakabin every time) for
running an FM radio station for the Festival. So no reason at all why a few
LUGOG people should not get tickets and an allocated space to do something,
as long as GFL are happy that some sort of service will be offered rather
than LUGOG members merely getting into the Festival for free.

Best,

Kelvin