[Glastonbury] dual boot issues

peter.t.cole peter.t.cole at lineone.net
Tue May 11 20:43:03 BST 2004

It's been a while since i posted ! Knoppix has come to the rescue at
work again to recover data off of an XP laptop.

Any way on to my main reason for posting. I am always mutter about how
good Linux is at work i gave someone a copy of Knoppix they decided that
they wanted to try a hard drive install of Linux so i they copied the
mandrake 10 DVD an were going to dual boot with XP.

OH dear it installed linux ok but would not boot into windows he coul
not recover windows the only way he could restore windows was to pull
the hard rive an install in another machine and do a secure erase ( he
did use partition magic to create the partition for Linux).
I have been doing a bit of googleing and it seems that mandrake is not
the only one having problems Suse is as well this was in a review that
was posted one Linux today also i have seen posts about Knoppix Hard
drive install on this as well. The older version of Mandrake is OK as i
have dual booted to xp with out problems. Any thoughts?
Maybe MS is messing about with partitions to stop us being able to dual
boot !!! now i have got a devious mind !!

Regards

Peter

PS i hope to make the next meeting