[Glastonbury] debian@stdunstans (was Just a little idea)

Ian Dickinson ian_j_dickinson at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Nov 7 17:18:30 GMT 2004

Martin Wheeler <mwheeler at startext.co.uk> wrote:
> > Currently the Network is remotely managed by
> > fensystems.co.uk.
> > We pay about £1500 p.a. for this.
>
> Any hope of getting the school to pay this to
> //you// for doing the same thing?  :)
I thought that the way to put bread on the table in a
world of free software was precisely to charge for
providing ancillary services like support?  £1500 pa
for managing an entire network seems very good value
to me. That's £10 per machine per year on a network
the size of St Dunstan's, which isn't very much time
at any sensible labour rate.

Perhaps, as you suggest, Steve could set up a small
experimental network of locally-mananged systems ...
as much to give the more advanced/adventurous students
something to muck about with as anything else.

Ian