[Glastonbury] "the opencd" for apple OSX

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Sun Nov 7 20:05:45 GMT 2004

On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 02:23:15AM +0000, Martin Wheeler wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Nov 2004, Cherry Mulliss wrote:
>
> >As you know I use Mac OS X, and could do with downloading and testing
> >Gimp. Blender et al.
Think Fink - google for it. Apt-get for MacOS open source packages :)

> Hmmm.
>
> Ever thought of dual-boot machines?
> (Debian has been ported to 11 different architectures you know -- that's
> another reason I use it, btw -- don't have to engage another mental gear
> when I go over to the IBM 390s I keep in the coal cellar. :)

Nice idea - but I haven't tried installing on a new iMac yet. You'd need
to be fairly sure of your hardware and specs. Hanging out on a couple
of the Debian mailing lists might well help / reading the archives
before you start.

> PowerPC or Motorola 68k -- who cares?
Presumably those who download for the "wrong" architecture and get
fouled up inexplicably?? - well, you _did_ ask a silly question :)

> >I think the idea of an open CD for Mac OS X is excellent. Particularly as
> >there is a lot less free software about for Macs than for PCs.

It's there - it's just less used. OO.org is certainly there. GIMP /
Blender also there IIRC. [But not of much use to the graphics folk
who already have every Adobe package going, for example.]

> > Hopefully we can get away with ignoring Mac OS 9 and earlier

Isn't there Mac on Linux or some such to allow you to run OS9 in a
sandbox?  If you don't have any old applications which are predicated
on OS 9, consign it to history - but keep the CDs around

> Nah.  Just convert 'em to pure Debian boxes.

Not _so_ fast. You'd need to check hardware/software specs and whether
you wanted to keep MacOS around for any reason - but do-able given
a fair wind :)

> Anyway, shout if you're interested -- help is always at hand via the
> group.
>
> (Andy is the expert at installing Linux under all sorts of different
> architectures.  He can often be seen hovering round dustbins, just waiting
> to pick up a machine he hasn't installed on before.  Now //that's//
> dedication for you!     Errm -- I think. :)

Only about three obsolete architectures thus far :)

Love, or what you will,

Andy