[Glastonbury] Just a little idea

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Sun Nov 7 22:16:56 GMT 2004

Whee! Big Thread!

Last Saturday 06 November 2004 15:35, Andrew M.A. Cater was like:
> On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 01:09:52PM +0000, tim hall wrote:
> > Great, the more the merrier, I say!
>
> <big snip>
> Always on the end of an email/phone.

Great!

> If you're going to install, I might
> suggest "pure" Sarge. If it takes you a while Debian might even have
> released it as stable :)

I don't honestly know that it would make any difference. A/DeMuDi has useful
knoppix-style hardware detection and will set the machines up with useful
defaults should they get used for multimedia purposes. A/DeMuDi is a Custom
Debian Distribution, not a separate distro, so incorporating packages from
Sarge or an appropriately stable snapshot thereof is as easy as a-p-t!

That said I'm not against experimenting with other systems, it's just less
work for me to stick with what I know on an "if it ain't broke" basis.

> > Once I get my CD burning sorted, I'll put the OpenCD on the Windows
> > machine, just to get them used to the software. They've been using Mac
> > OSX for the last two years, so it may not be so hard to get them used to
> > GNU/Linux. They're already learning to hate Windows XP ;D
>
> Should be OK. OpenCD is not _absolutely_ up to date so you may still
> want to go and grab the latest Firefox, for example, and the latest
> OO.org.

I'll consider that.

> > The first stage is to network up the building. I'll get back in touch
> > with everyone when I've got enough network cable to play with.
>
> You can never have enough flexibility or enough cable: if you're wiring
> up and terminating your own cable try and get some crimping practice and
> build up your wrist strength :)

Yep, that was the approach I was intending. I just need to google up a good
reminder of which way the wires go.

cheers

tim hall