[Glastonbury] Just a little idea

Martin Wheeler mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Tue Nov 9 17:22:19 GMT 2004

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, tim hall wrote:

>  Mind you, the biggest PITA to configure on
> Debian has to be CUPS, the only one that relies on GUI config, go figure.

Strangely, I found it worked 'out the box' once I'd got the driver loaded.
(But then I'm using a USB cable -- and with this printer, I know that
that's the only type of cable that will work with the CUPS setup.)

My big problem when I first installed it was in trying to print from
Mozilla.  I didn't know it then, but that version of Mozilla simply
refused to print properly.  With anything.
I opened up something like Abiword and printed from that, and had no
problem thereafter.

I do vaguely remember having to put the full path to the driver (not just
its name) into something somwhere to get it all to work, though.
Might've been gimp-print.

FWIW, this is what I have installed:

cupsys
cupsys-bsd
cupsys-client
cupsys-driver-gimpprint
cupsys-driver-gimprint-data

foomatic-bin
foomatic-db
foomatic-db-engine
foomatic-db-gimp-print
foomatic-db-hpijs
foomatic-filters
foomatic-gui

And for the driver, there shouldn't be any problem using alien on a .rpm.
I've always had great success using alien.

HTH