[Glastonbury] Woes of the attempted debian download

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Mon Nov 15 09:10:38 GMT 2004

Last Sunday 14 November 2004 12:16, steve was like:
> Hi folks,
> I have tried in vain to download the dvd iso's of sarge this week using
> differnet methods.
> It is the DVD's I am after and they only can be
> I just couldn't get jigdo to work on Linux so resorted to using my Xp
> NTFS partition (they are large iso's) using Jigdo and Wget.
> All was working well for 25 hours when all of a sudden the power went
> last night (all those kettles being switched on after carnival I expect)
> and I can't pick up where I left off as the images on the debian server
> have changed this morning.
> I tried an rsync but to no avail.
> I did pass on my home address details to Andy last week but haven't
> heard anything. (Did you get them?)
> I genuinely want to try debian.
> I have an older 8 cd version "woody" 3.0 r1 I could try. If I install
> that can I get sarge more easily?
> I expect it won't support my sagem broadband modem though so I'll be stuck.
> Sarge is a 14 cd version and is obviously a testing version with all the
> latest apps/drivers on so would prefer this.
> Martin kindly lent me his dvds but disc one won't copy.
> So in short if anyone on the list has a copy of sarge "testing" on dvd I
> would really appreciate it if I could either borrow them to copy or am
> happy to reimburse you for copying and sending them to me.
> I will attempt a base netinstall using the
> http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/sid_d-i/i386/pre-rc2/sarge-i3
>86-netinst.iso and see if i can pick up the internet from there using the
> fast sagem modem in the meantime.

I don't have enough HD space to download the Sarge CDs. It's possible to use
the AGNULA/DeMuDi single-CD installer and then upgrade to Sarge. This gives
the option of using a low latency multimedia kernel (latest - 2.4.27; 2.6.x
coming soon) and a mm optimised system. It's a lot less downloading. (about 3
hours). And installs in under an hour, it will configure your network and X
in the process, so long as you don't need proprietary software.

The latest DeMuDi ISO image can be found here:

 http://freesoftware.ircam.fr/mirrors/agnula/1.2/1.2.0/demudi_1.2.0_i386.iso
 http://ccrma.stanford.edu/mirrors/agnula/agnula-iso/1.2/1.2.0/demudi_1.2.0_i386.iso
 http://download.agnula.org/1.2/1.2.0/demudi_1.2.0_i386.iso

A BitTorrent stream for the DeMuDi 1.2.0 ISO is also available:

 http://torrent1.youceff.com/download.php?file=460600&cat=&subref=

The other thing worth bearing in mind is that Sarge is snapshotted, so you may
be able to continue d/ling using the Nov 13th snapshot. Something like
http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/2004/11/13/debian/ might work. [?]

cheers

tim hall