[Glastonbury] suse license

Greg Browne greg.browne at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 11:14:15 GMT 2004

Andy
Thanks. The answer is clearly to put in a separate graphics card,
which i will do soon. I still don't understand why, when KNOPPIX and
SUSE run OK, I cannot modify the DEBIAN settings to get it to run just
the same - but that will remain a mystery for a while <G>

Peter, It's good to know there is an expert nearby, thanks. 5 years
use sounds like an expert to me!

Tim, I'm very grateful for the 'ALT' tip. It overcame the KMail
problem, of course.

Just tried Novell LINUX desktop 9 on a laptop (Compaq P500/128/6.4). I
cannot see the difference between this and SUSE9, except for badging,
but I offer the following observations
1) It runs quite slow. I thought that LINUX was well suited to older
computers, but not this distro it seems.
2) Although this is just a downloaded evaluation copy, it is covered
by licence agreements that could be a discussion subject on their own.
Somehow we all have to pay the bills, and Novell are no different, but
free software, it is not. It will be coming off this machine very
soon. However I feel there is a market for this product and, if
succesful, the work should feed back into the wider LINUX community.
Now there's a contentious statement?
3) It installed very smoothly and even recognised a cheap wireless
card - no idea how to set up the network, but hardware recognition
seemed good.

--
Greg Browne
www.rotherleigh.co.uk