[Glastonbury] FOA Greg KNOPPIX

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 24 06:58:08 GMT 2004

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 06:21:58AM +0000, Greg Browne wrote:
> Andy
> Thanks. I did try Novell deskotp (basically SuSE) which was very
> stable, but slow, which is why I changed to Debian. I have soak tested
> the memory, which comes up OK. I might try SuSE itself to see if that
> is better and maybe buy some more memory. The disk 'sounds' slow but I
> haven't speed tested it as yet. I'm attempting to download KANOTIX at
> the moment and will check that out first.
Hmm, :)  Novell Desktop - I've seen someone else say it's slower than
a corresponding SuSE. No idea quite why that should be.  Memory's OK -
but you might be hitting swap or some such. If you got SuSE to install,
then there's nothing too much wrong with the machine per se. If I'm
reading you right it's a Compaq desktop machine: is it a (middle/late'ish
model) Compaq Deskpro??

They should be supported now: at the time I used one last, there were
issues with the Intel ethernet card being only just supported - that's
all been fixed long since. This when I was routinely installing on
eight or ten Compaq's in a lab with lots of computers on 24/7 :)

Is it one of the Compaq's which requires its own partition of Compaq
utilities on the disk to act as a BIOS?  Many of them were infamous for
this and you need the Compaq rescue CD at times. Be careful also with
bargain basement mix n' match memory - sometimes they can be finicky.

I'm damn sure we can get this going, but it may take me a while over
email :)

Andy