[Glastonbury] Re: new to linux

KEITHSLINUX at aol.com KEITHSLINUX at aol.com
Sat Nov 27 10:59:21 GMT 2004

In a message dated 26/11/2004 14:27:04 GMT  Standard Time,
tony at whittycat.me.uk writes:
ROY MONAGHAN writes:

>  I am new to Linux, I have installed on my laptop RED-Hat 8.0  the problem
that I am having is hard ware related.First network I use a WI  Fi system on
XP but it does not work on Linux, modems is an other problem.Is  there a list
of hard ware that is compatible with Linux?? or is there a way of
configuration.

I have Red Hat 8.0 and an Actiontec wireless adapter  talking to a Netgear
ethernet router. What type of wireless adapter do you  have and is it PCI,
PCMCIA or USB? I use the linux-wlan-ng driver but there  are others. As for
the modem, the main thing is not to waste time on a USB  modem it won't work;
you need an ethernet modem aka a router. Doesn't matter  much which.

Tony Sumner

USB modems do work with Linux all speedtouch usb modems work, a lot of zoom
modems and even some of the BT modems work plus i bet theirs a  lot more that
will work, try looking for eciadsl drivers for your modem, as for  the WIFI i
have only managed to get my intel 2100 working using  mandrake 10.1 did try
with redhat 9 and suse but had no luck yet  but i will try again as there have
been some new builds for the  drivers since i last tried

Keith ;O)