[Glastonbury] ideas for new town website

Martin Wheeler mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Wed Sep 22 17:31:51 BST 2004

[sorry about slight delay in replying to this thread]

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Sean Miller wrote:

> Indeed! Let's do it ;-)

OK then.  Let's go.

Now, despite Tim's misgivings about this list being the proper place to
discuss this, I would like to get *technical* input from local Linux
users on the various software apps we might use for the site (as opposed
to any individual's personal comments on content, which is what I feel was
making Tim twitchy).

Technically, I would like to see a site to which *anyone* can contribute
-- townspeople, tourists, visitors, local businessmen -- and which will
honestly reflect the total breadth of views of the overall 'net-using
public -- not just some local vested-interest clique or other, pushing a
perspective of the community from a single, narrow viewpoint -- which
would reduce the readership dramatically.  (And which is where all past and
current offerings have come unstuck.)

Software apps to allow this sort of site to be built exist in their
hundreds -- the question is: which are the most suitable (in our opinion);
and which are available and easily maintainable in a Linux environment?

Answers to this list, please.

Personally, I like the zope publishing environment.  Because it's
powerful, extensible, scalable (and will soon be the publishing
environment of choice for Oracle databases).  And it offers just about
everything as an add-in.  (Wiki, calendar, gallery, etc.)  But as Tim and
I have already found out -- you've got to be really serious about wanting
to use it to go through the required learning curve.  (The sort of
learning-curve that puts anyone but the most dedicated off using it for
life.  I only got to grips with it myself on my >third< attempt.)

But the sort of audience I'm envisaging for the new website will want to
respond -- and more importantly, will have to be *able* to respond --
>>instantly<< from the web-page itself -- without any great degree of
technical knowledge.  (Remember, the aim is to provide the town with an
interactive *website*; not a mailing-list, or a forum.)  And most
importantly, readers must feel that there is no restriction on what
they are allowed to publish on the site, or any impediment to the
expression of their own ideas.  Remember too: the web was developed to be
an inter-active *personal publishing* medium; not the one-way broadcasting
system for commercial advertising firms it threatens to become.

Now most dictatorial, authoritarian bodies go straight into brown-trouser
mode at the very thought of this -- what, let the public openly express
themselves?  Aarrghh!  That's the very antithesis of the power-seeking
control-freakery they represent.  It's also *precisely* why I welcome it.
(Child of the sixties.  Jerry Rubin.  Abbie Hoffman.  Wavy Gravy.  Pig for
President.  Don't worry about it.)  We now have the technology to do this,
and it's time we started using it.

[Please note: I'm *not* advocating a totally irresponsible publishing
free-for-all -- there are laws of libel to consider for starters.
I'm advocating an (extremely) easy-to-use, self-publishing site for
*everyone* interested in Glastonbury -- within legal limits.  Which can
be very broad.]  A topical, thought-provoking, interesting and amusing
website with Glastonbury as its subject, which everyone in town will want
to read at least once a week.

What's the best software to use to accomplish this?

It's got to have editorial control; ability to delegate sub-editing to
others -- even to the individual level if need be, e.g. personal web
journal ['blog' - heurrk!] for any reader who wants one (see Julie
Solheim-Roe's 'Scarlet Jewels') and obeys the obscenity and libel laws;
calendaring; headlining; comments on articles published; image publishing;
audio/video streaming?; large document publishing (cf. Palden's
'Glastonbury Archives'); group participation in writing an Encyclopaedia
of Glastonbury (a long-cherished project of mine); open political and
social comment -- satire, even?  (You bet.)

I'm not necessarily looking at a single package to accomplish this.  My
own preference would be for an assemblage of packages: a wiki, a
web-journalling app, a CMS, a gallery -- etc.

But which?  Ideas please.

Cheers,