[Glastonbury] ideas for new town website

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Fri Sep 24 20:28:17 BST 2004

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 05:46:32PM +0100, Martin Wheeler wrote:
> [sorry about slight delay in replying to this thread]
>
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Sean Miller wrote:
>
> >Indeed! Let's do it ;-)
>
> OK then.  Let's go.
>
> Now, despite Tim's misgivings about this list being the proper place to
> discuss this, I would like to get *technical* input from local Linux
> users on the various software apps we might use for the site (as opposed
> to any individual's personal comments on content, which is what I feel was
> making Tim twitchy).
>
> Technically, I would like to see a site to which *anyone* can contribute
> -- townspeople, tourists, visitors, local businessmen -- and which will
> honestly reflect the total breadth of views of the overall 'net-using
> public -- not just some local vested-interest clique or other, pushing a
> perspective of the community from a single, narrow viewpoint -- which
> would reduce the readership dramatically.  (And which is where all past and
> current offerings have come unstuck.)

Insert obligatory ref. to HHGG - Glastonbury was noted as being set up
as the financial headquarters for the Megadodo Corp (publishers of the
Guide) just days before the Vogons destroyed Earth - hence the UFO's
thereaabouts.
> Software apps to allow this sort of site to be built exist in their
> hundreds -- the question is: which are the most suitable (in our opinion);
> and which are available and easily maintainable in a Linux environment?
>
> Answers to this list, please.
>

> Personally, I like the zope publishing environment.  Because it's
> powerful, extensible, scalable (and will soon be the publishing
> environment of choice for Oracle databases).  And it offers just about
> everything as an add-in.  (Wiki, calendar, gallery, etc.)  But as Tim and
> I have already found out -- you've got to be really serious about wanting
> to use it to go through the required learning curve.  (The sort of
> learning-curve that puts anyone but the most dedicated off using it for
> life.  I only got to grips with it myself on my >third< attempt.)

It may be worth looking at  the egroupware suite.
> But the sort of audience I'm envisaging for the new website will want to
> respond -- and more importantly, will have to be *able* to respond --
> >>instantly<< from the web-page itself -- without any great degree of
> technical knowledge.  (Remember, the aim is to provide the town with an
> interactive *website*; not a mailing-list, or a forum.)  And most
> importantly, readers must feel that there is no restriction on what
> they are allowed to publish on the site, or any impediment to the
> expression of their own ideas.  Remember too: the web was developed to be
> an inter-active *personal publishing* medium; not the one-way broadcasting
> system for commercial advertising firms it threatens to become.
Nuke the unborn gay whales for Jesus :)

> Now most dictatorial, authoritarian bodies go straight into brown-trouser
> mode at the very thought of this -- what, let the public openly express
> themselves?  Aarrghh!  That's the very antithesis of the power-seeking
> control-freakery they represent.  It's also *precisely* why I welcome it.
> (Child of the sixties.  Jerry Rubin.  Abbie Hoffman.  Wavy Gravy.  Pig for
> President.  Don't worry about it.)  We now have the technology to do this,
> and it's time we started using it.
Steal this website :)
> [Please note: I'm *not* advocating a totally irresponsible publishing
> free-for-all -- there are laws of libel to consider for starters.
> I'm advocating an (extremely) easy-to-use, self-publishing site for
> *everyone* interested in Glastonbury -- within legal limits.  Which can
> be very broad.]  A topical, thought-provoking, interesting and amusing
> website with Glastonbury as its subject, which everyone in town will want
> to read at least once a week.
>
> What's the best software to use to accomplish this?
>
> It's got to have editorial control; ability to delegate sub-editing to
> others -- even to the individual level if need be, e.g. personal web
> journal ['blog' - heurrk!] for any reader who wants one (see Julie
> Solheim-Roe's 'Scarlet Jewels') and obeys the obscenity and libel laws;
> calendaring; headlining; comments on articles published; image publishing;
> audio/video streaming?; large document publishing (cf. Palden's
> 'Glastonbury Archives'); group participation in writing an Encyclopaedia
> of Glastonbury (a long-cherished project of mine); open political and
> social comment -- satire, even?  (You bet.)
Wiki of some sort. Bloxsome for blogs?  Ogg vorbis, helix player, (dirac /
ogg theora when available) should handle media streaming. Large document
publishing -> tex/tetex or Scribus. Online interface to mencal.  Mayan calendar
available via Emacs anyway (until the Long Count stops in 2012).
Dhammapada,King James Version, anarchism FAQ - it's all in Debian _somewhere_ :)