[Glastonbury] ive become debbied

Kelvin McNulty kelvin24 at gcircle.co.uk
Fri Sep 24 21:25:33 BST 2004

Does Debian install itself like SuSE does? or do you still have to make a list
of all the hardware first?

Thinking about it...

Kelvin

PS having got Knoppix onto that machine at the group (thanks for your help,
and it was v. useful to verify that the machine, which was a Microbitz
scapheap item, was useful still) I had to replace it with SuSE cos the
Knoppix was in German... the machine is currently helping someone who is
working with a vulnerable new business in Glastonbury, and it only has SuSE,
no Windows...

On Wednesday 09 June 2004 16:05, tim hall wrote:
> Last Wednesday 09 June 2004 16:43, Microbitz Service Centre was like:
> > ive wiped me suse
>
> hope you flushed after ;-)
>
> > and put on debian/sid from the knoppix cd
>
> Yay! congratulations.
>
> > hope i havent made a silly move
>
> I doubt it, but hey, I'm biased.
> Let us know how you get on. :)
>
> cheers
>
> tim hall

_______________________________To contact me go to:

http://www/gcircle.co.uk/email/

and use the form to write to me.

I am trying this as the contents of the Reply To field. Let me know how it
works, especially if it doesn't.

You can also reach this by going to

http://www.gcircle.co.uk and clicking the Contact GCircle link.

Keeping Email Reliable:

The main cause of loss of messages is the increasing volume of spam. You can
reduce this by ensuring that your computer is free of viruses and worms. If
you run Microsoft Windows you must have up to date firewall and antivirus
software, and you must keep this software up to date, You will also from time
to time need to install updates issued by Microsoft to ensure that your
Windows system remains secure.

You can also, at the time of writing this, ensure freedom from spam and
viruses by using a system other than Microsoft Windows: an Apple Mac, or a PC
running Linux. I personally use SuSE Linux 8.1 and have found that this
enables me to do everything I need. You will need a firewall on your Linux or
Apple system.

You must also take care not to open attachments on any system. Most viruses
are sent as attachments. NEVER open an attachment if you do not know,
absolutely, that it is safe. NEVER open any executable attachment, i.e. one
whose filename ends in .exe, .pif, .scr, .bat etc. (there may be other file
name endings for executable files). On a Linux PC, any damage done will be
limited to your user area.

To avoid these problems, you can use webmail. If you have an email account on
the Glastonbury Online server, I can probably arrange for you to use webmail.
This avoids having to run your email activities from any one particular
computer. GO will add £10.00 to the annual charge for your website (or the
website that hosts your email account) for this service.