[Glastonbury] ive become debbied

Martin Wheeler mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Sat Sep 25 14:21:59 BST 2004

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004, Greg Browne wrote:

> I cannot believe it is that easy. V impressed.

Greg __

Fun thing to do on a Saturday afternoon:

- go along to your nearest PC World, with a copy of Knoppix in your
pocket;
- ask an assistant if you can try one of their machines to see if it runs
Linux;
- boot; and run one of the flash demos, like bb or xaos;
- extoll the virtues of FLOSS to the gobsmacked crowd that grows around
you;
- offer to burn copies for all the shop assistants, customers, etc.;
- leave shop with at least a dozen machines running Linux, and all shop
assistants clutching a copy of their latest toy.

This >>really works<<.  I've done it twice now; and as long as you ask
first, you don't get thrown out.

It's one of the most satisfying acts of subversion I know.

P.S.  If anyone asks you to demo a direct connection to the Internet, run
like hell.  All their machines are fitted with winmodems.