[Glastonbury] ive become debbied

Martin Wheeler mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Sun Sep 26 14:49:33 BST 2004

Kelvin __

Andy thoughtfully dumped an iso image of the latest debian (sarge)
auto-boot installer on my network last night, so I now have a CD to bring
to the meeting on Wednesday night; plus a copy of the iso on the laptop
so's folks can burn their own whilst there, if they want.

The installer gives you a base system (choose either 2.4 or 2.6 kernel)
which you can then expand any way you wish -- over the 'net, from CD
(all 16 of them!), DVD, whatever.

The target machine should have at least 256M of hard disk space, and at
least 24M of RAM -- plus of course, a CDROM drive, and BIOS which allows
auto-boot from CD.  (This isn't always the case with
'salvaged-from-the-skip' equipment, as I know from personal experience.)
It's usually the BIOS or the amount of RAM that gives grief.

It could be fun to take a whole bunch of those machines cluttering up room
T1 and see if there are any which *won't* allow a debian auto-install.

Cheers,