[Glastonbury] Sedgemoor IT Cluster

Martin Wheeler mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Wed Apr 6 23:26:27 BST 2005

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Sean Miller wrote:

>> So why isn't sedgemooritc.co.uk not operating?
>
> Ah, it is...
>
> http://www.sedgemooritc.co.uk/
>
> Either it wasn't 30 minutes ago, or I'm going mad... or both...

Me too.  First it wasn't there .... then it was.

Anyways, I've just pinned it down with a character-based browser. (lynx)

Oh dear.
(Ignoring the unfriendly stuff informaing me that 'This page uses frames,
but your browser doesn't support them' designed to keep out disabled
users; and then navigating the site by psychic skill, I get to the
following:

                                        The sedgemoor IT Cluster Web Site

    FRAME: left
    FRAME: top1
    FRAME: main1

                                [welcome.gif]

    [logo1.gif]

     This site is best viewed with MS Internet Explorer v5.5 at 1024x768
                             True Colour (32bit)

     HOME [dot.gif] ABOUT US [dot.gif] DIARY [dot.gif] MEMBERS [dot.gif]
                        CONTACT US [dot.gif] FEED-BACK

                              Acknowledgements:
    Web Site Designed & Maintained by Data by Design Ltd Web Site and Mail
    List Hosted by WiSS Ltd [MLDALogo.gif] Web Site Funded by TRESP IT
    Cluster Supported by BIC-Eryri IT Cluster Supported by Welsh
    Development Agency

Seems to be M$-specific; and hell-bent on sending business back to Wales.

Now, WhyTF would I be interested in a site like that?

Guess we'd better invite them along to our next monthly meeting (next
Wednesday, 7.00 pm), and show them what sort of professional (and
semi-professional) expertise a bunch of 60-odd Linux-using folks already
provide in and around this area.
Then maybe *they*'d like to join *us*?

[And remember -- we're not just Sedgemoor.  Our catchment area goes from
Plymouth to Cheltenham; Southampton (hi! Martin) to Minehead.]

Only joking folks -- we're _real_ friendly in this cluster.  Just don't
push the M-product too much, OK?

Pity the Business Link folks are Microsoft-only too -- I've never been
able to get them in the least bit interested in what Linux has to offer to
SMEs in this area -- although quite a number are using SUSE or RedHat.
(I should know -- I trained 'em!)
And never in a month of Sundays will they get a Linux training course out
of Business Link!

Cheers,
mwheeler at startext.co.uk                       http://startext.demon.co.uk/