[Glastonbury] Simple database required

Martin Wheeler mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Mon Apr 25 21:28:32 BST 2005

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 info at wccl.co.uk wrote:

> Can anyone please advise me of a simple to load and use database for Mandriva
> (ie Mandrake) Linux. Currently I'm running Mandrake 10.0 Official.

Ros __

I think your best bet is to take the advice of all three replies you've
received so far.

I.e. -- use a spreadsheet for initial  data collection, until such time as
OOo provides a usable database element to replace it.

(I would only add here -- if your needs are in any way complex, use
gnumeric rather than the simplistic spreadsheet included in OOo -- it's
superior to Excel in just about every way, and has the advantage of
giving you practice in using one of the better FLOSS offerings.  You can
also export your data in a myriad of ways, according to where you want it
to go once you've collected it.)

Then I would seriously look at installing MySQL and phpmyadmin to
interface with it.  You can do just about anything you want with
phpmyadmin without having to have recourse to the mysql command line --
and amazingly, I found that I could use it from the start to do simple
things with my databases as I gradually learned more about mysql.
It's a cool tool; it allows you to learn as you go, according to your
needs.  It too allows export in a myriad of ways -- and of course, you can
import your spreadsheet output, no problem.
(This is, in fact, what I do for several of my clients -- they produce
their data using a spreadsheet, and then send it to me in comma-separated
value [CSV] form; which I simply import straight into a database, and
manipulate as required.)

Also, following Sean's suggestion, you could look at using PHP-enabled web
pages to allow you (or your clients) to interface with the database via
the internet -- with appropriate safeguards built in, of course.

The technology is straightforward, and the coding required, minimal.  (You
can even go to a script archive and pick up a pre-written, debugged script
for virtually any task you might want in this area.  I've done so in the
past, many times.)  It's really not difficult to implement.

If you'd like to see an example of all the above, go take a look at a site
I had to cobble together very quickly (under two hours to get everything
set up and on-line) last weekend for the Linux Documentation Project:

      http://startext.demon.co.uk/tldp/index.html

  -- ignore the search-engine, it's an outdated (but perfectly servicable)
hack written in perl.  (I'm sure you could easily find an equivalent in
another scripting language.)  All the rest is done by PHP, with the
exception of a javascript validation routine I nicked from somewhere to
check out the content of images being uploaded.

HTH,