[Glastonbury] Realplayer conflict?

Martin Wheeler mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Sat Aug 6 01:49:48 BST 2005

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Sean Miller wrote:

> Anybody got any ideas on this problem I'm having....

I have similar problems with a similar machine ... one of the weirdest is
the inability to use the wireless network card if you're using the CD/DVD
drive -- which I'm sure is down to resource conflicts.

(You can't use all three USB ports if you're also using the wireless card,
either -- only two are available.)

And as for getting sound to work consistently -- forget it.
Try watching your favourite DVD (e.g. Merle Oberon in 'A Night in
Paradise') under xine or whatever -- then switch over to playing an ogg or
mp3 track (e.g. Beverly or Andrews Sisters) from either command line or
xmms -- then watch the bloody machine get all picky about what it will
and won't play.)

[machine being described here is a Toshiba Satellite Pro laptop -- a very
fine machine; just don't push it to its limits *permanently* -- which is
how I normally run any machine.]

>   when I boot up Realplayer
> will not work... it just hangs...
>
> If I leave it a while, say a day or so, it starts working...

  .. I thought that was part of its built-in functionality -- with me, it
only works about once in every 12 invocations.
I've always put it down to the Tosh's crap ability to handle multi-media
decently under anything but Windows (remember, these are Windows-specific
boxes.

> Now I'm thinking that this may be a resource conflict

Almost certainly -- IRQ 10 is the major suspect.

HTH