[Glastonbury] FAVE report

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Sun Aug 21 12:55:41 BST 2005

 Just a quick report to say we held our FAVE gathering at the Trinity
centre in Bristol on Saturday. It was most successful. I would like to
apologise to the fair number of people I failed to get back to and the lack
of streaming. It's the first event we've actually put on ourselves here and
we have lots to learn.

I was most impressed with the amount of information our speakers managed to
fit in to their 30 minute slots. Chris O'shea started us off with an
intriguing glimpse into tangible interfaces for audio visual environments.
Tom chance from Remix Reading gave a lightning overview of libre licensing
and the possibilities of co-creativity. John Ffitch gave us a short form
intro to Csound and Michael Sparks introduced the BBC's open source network
testing platform called Kamaelia. That was just the morning session.

After lunch Rich Bown gave us a quick tour of Rosegarden followed by an
inspirational testimony from James Wallbank about the ways in which Access
Space in Sheffield has promoted creativity using open-source software for
over 5 years, through artist residencies, workshops, events and exhibitions.
Plugincinema.com followed with an equally inspirational talk on web-film
making and open-source cinema as an alternative to Hollywood. For our last
presentation, RachelAPP demonstrated how to record and mix a track using
Ardour, how to program drums on Hydrogen and how to master the final track
using JaMin from a refreshingly non-technical perspective.

We rounded off the day with musical performances from Andy Preston, RachelAPP,
Matt Gray, Jonny Stutters and Dave Griffiths. Dave's highly visual live
coding style was particularly fascinating to watch as well as listen.

It was a very full day as you can see. It provided us with a great chance to
do some local networking and most importantly we achieved what we set out to
do and covered costs without any external funding. I think everyone came away
feeling very inspired and it seems like we have done a good pilot for an Open
Source Audio and Video users' event, which has every chance of continuing and
growing. You lot missed a great event.

cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk/tim