[Glastonbury] tomorrow's -- now today's -- meeting

Martin Wheeler mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Wed Dec 7 18:46:23 GMT 2005

On Wednesday, earthdate 07 December 2005, Tim Hall was like all Fluffy
of Glastonbury :

> Martin, I think it would be more useful if you would just accept that you do
> not have the grasp of the kind of delicate diplomacy necessary for
> interfacing with the state education system.

Sure I do.  I just don't choose to exercise it with the kind of menials
and fuckwits it employs.

:]

Oh -- and I wasn't interfacing with the state education system -- I was
interfacing with a *person* -- admittedly, one having a bad hair day --
but as you weren't party to our conversation, you wouldn't know anything
more about the topic of conversation than Steve, would you?

> All schools and colleges are like this.

Negatory.  I myself attended one where the staff employed in reception
actually had opposable thumbs.

>  I don't believe Steve would have made a point such as this without
> _very_ good reason to do so

Being ballocksed out by a stressed-out receptionist having a bad hair day
and wanting to take it out on someone else is good reason?

>  In many situations your passion and directness is
> appropriate and well appreciated, it just didn't work in this situation.

I believe I made my sentiments on the receptionist's attitude *crystal*
clear.

> Personally, it actually suits me to fit in with the school timetable

Fine: but this is a different subject; and many of us live a much more
organized regime not consistent with constantly fluctuating meeting times.

> frankly, I think we would have the same problems interfacing with any other
> potential venue in Glastonbury.

I strongly disagree.  Only experience can tell.

>  I don't really have the time to dash over the
> school and try to organise a meeting for tonight

Neither do I -- now.  But as I said I would, I shall be present in case
anyone else turns up.  As usual, no event programme has been planned, so
it's not going to be any great loss if there's no meeting at all.

>  This sounds like one of
> those situations where my style of negotiation /could/ be effective.

Probably, if that's what you're out to achieve (i.e. negotiate something
or other).  But -- like Steve -- you haven't a clue what I was actually
asking the recptionist to do.  (Clue: I wasn't trying to negotiate
*any*thing).  The receptionist put 2 & 2 together and made 22.

> At the
> very least I may be able to gain some insight into the reasons Martin found
> the process puzzling and frustrating, and suggest some solutions.

Ever thought about asking *me* about it; instead of running off at the
mouth about your own impressions gained from what two others *think* I was
doing?

<sigh>
--
Martin Wheeler