[Glastonbury] Glad Tidings !

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 21 23:34:56 GMT 2005

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 08:24:09PM +0000, Martin Wheeler wrote:
>    A very Merry Christmas to all LUGoG members, and best wishes for the
>                     season of peace and goodwill.

Happy solstice - happy Hannukah for the 26th and Eid Mubarak (for any
Arabic speaking Christians :) )

> The good news is that, thanks to the understanding and forebearance of
> Somerset County Council and local Centre Manager Steve Lazenby, we can
> now continue our meetings free of charge in the purpose-built IT training
> premises of the ICT Centre in Glastonbury.

What "stuff" do they have, and how is their connectivity arranged -
any obvious problems with say, booting into Knoppix on their machines?

> Thus the next meeting will be (as suggested last week) on the second
> Tuesday of January -- Tuesday, January 10th -- at 19.00, Glastonbury ICT
> Centre. Abbott's Court, Benedict Street, Glastonbury; and every second
> Tuesday of the month thereafter (unless we decide otherwise fairly soon).
>
> There is ample off-street parking -- and for those not too au fait with
> the street layout of the centre of town, it's easy enough to find --
> starting at the Market Cross, proceed west down Benedict Street for about
> 250 yards (Benedict Street is the one that *isn't either the High Street
> or Magdalene Street), and Abbott's Court is on your right almost opposite
> the King Arthur pub.
>
> See you there !
>
> I would like to take this occasion to give a very heartfelt thanks to
> Steve Leonard-Clarke, who, for the past two and a half years, has borne
> the brunt of being the sole person responsible for ensuring that meetings
> take place at all, given the requirements of St. Dunstan's School.
> (More accurately, the dictates of the school's insurers!)
>
> Steve -- I hope you don't feel in any way personally targetted by this,
> but I sincerely hope that by moving meetings to new premises where we have
> far greater leeway in who is considered responsible for the premises, that
> the group will be able to ensure meetings take place on a regular and
> predictable basis, unaffected by school holidays or other term-time
> events, or even by the availability or otherwise of any one person.

A heartfelt thanks on my part also to Steve. Best wishes to all
of the LUGoG, including list lurkers - here's hoping that 2006
will dawn brightly and that all will be well with each of us: a
death earlier this year made me realise that you can never appreciate
others enough but its worth trying :)

> So could those who would like to be considered as 'key-holders' please
> contact me off-list as soon as possible, so that we can present the Centre
> with a list of names before the first meeting in the Centre?

Don't need to be a key holder - but am glad to know where I may be
heading :)