[Glastonbury] Glad Tidings !

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Fri Dec 23 11:12:13 GMT 2005

On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 10:44:03AM +0000, Sean Miller wrote:
> Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
>
> >Joomla _is_ effectively Mambo. Having said that, it may be better
> >to switch to Joomla anyway, since it will be maintained and Mambo
> >won't.
> >

> The Mambo Foundation might disagree with that.... the two have forked,
> but as far as Mambo is concerned theirs will be the one with all the
> support etc.. same for Joomla!

However, they have virtually no developers with experience as there
appears to have been a de facto fork in August. The Mambo Foundation
has only just had the copyrights etc. assigned :( joomla.org appear
upbeat. I note that the Debian maintainer of Mambo will also maintain
Joomla! - he seems to think that both may continue to be maintained
but recognises that there is a fork and that development has diverged
or will diverge from an initial common code base.

<snip>
> LUGoG site, are all running on a version which can be upgraded either to
> Joomla! or Mambo whereas if I upgrade now to either I shall be going
> down a path of no return... neither the new Mambo or Joomla! is
> significantly different in terms of features to what we are currently
> running therefore this seems a bad decision at this stage.

Yes, that seems reasonable at this stage.

> >Is there a stub site / redirect at the central LUG webserver at
> >lug.org.uk which points to lugog.org.uk ?
> >
> http://lugog.org is (I think) hosted with the uklinux folks... currently
> re-directs.

Yes, I worked that out after posting :) Incidentally, support by
MamboParty no longer works and MamboGTT returns a site in German
suggesting Joomla! - which suggests the decision to move to Joomla!
has already been taken for you :) [Links from the LuGOG site]

Andy