[Glastonbury] Mini install fest on my laptop

Alan Pope alan.pope at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 12:11:58 GMT 2005

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 12:07:33 +0000, Greg Browne <greg.browne at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone dare to stick their necks out into the flames, and say why the
> popularity of come and the decline of others?
>
> I've avoided Ubuntu because
> a) it is a 3 cd download

No it isn't. I have one CD, which I installed from.

> b) I understood that it is based on older packages (maybe that's a
> good point from a stability point of view but I just want something
> that does the biz? MEPIS does for me but I am hitting some install
> issues)

Not true either. Just change your sources and you get lots of lovely
up to date stuff. http://ubuntuguide.org/ is good for the first time
Ubuntuer.

To be fair every single distribution without fail is "out of date" the
second the cd is burned. New packages come out daily so there's bound
to be some that are not the very very latest bleeding edge. But once
installed, as I said, just change sources, apt-get update, apt-get
dist-upgrade and you're off with lots of lovely new stuff..

Cheers,
Al.