[Glastonbury] Mini install fest on my laptop

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 11 21:16:34 GMT 2005

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 09:58:09AM +0000, Greg Browne wrote:
> I, for one, am grateful for all those who put their own time and money
> into all this. We all have to eat, clothe and shelter ourselves which,
> for most, means having some sort of income or support. eg
>
> As Andy said he is a <<[Co-maintainer (with Martin Wheeler) of the
> Linux Distributions in
> English HOWTO]>>
>
> I assume that means that you look after/write some of the HOWTOs

To be precise: one (obsolescent) HOWTO for the LDP.  It is almost
impossible to discuss all the different distros - it's a task
done much better on the Web by the Distrowatch site - so the
information became outdated.  I am, however, always interested
in Linux distributions - including those where the native language
isn't English.  Advising someone on the best distribution to pick
and overcoming one's personal prejudices is not straightforward.

For Debian: I used to maintain a package for Beowulf clusters: I passed
it over to a computer scientist who knows what he's doing with it and
is a far better maintainer.  Most of what I do now is hang out on
various mailing lists, giving advice, Debian advocacy and test installs
on various obscure hardware.  The two Alphas on my desk tonight will
probably end up going to Debian at some point. I also tend to help man
the stand and talk to visitors at events like the Linux World Conference
and Expo.

I ought to get myself properly clued up and maintain a package or so
again - but there are sometimes not enough hours in the day.

My minor claim to Debian fame - I settled a long running flame war
by suggesting the name for the new package management tool. APT was _my_
suggestion - think of me every time you type apt-get :)

Andy