[Glastonbury] CD-writer front end?

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 22 00:57:54 GMT 2005

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 09:55:48PM +0000, Ian Dickinson wrote:
> Anyone have any suggestions for a decent cd writer app? xcdroast seems
> to me to be a study in how not to design user interfaces, and a quick
> google search revealed a number of moribund projects but nothing
> active that I could find.  Or should I learn to use mkisofs from the
> command line?

I generally have to do a man cdrecord these days - the CD Writing howto
goes into this in great detail, however, and includes useful stuff like
how to mount CD .iso's via the cloop interface for reading.

If doing this stuff to a remote box via ssh or whatever, cdrecord and
command line interface is the only game in town.

If you have a real working X session -

K3b - builds on cdrecord et. al.  Understands dvdrecord extensions.
Almost entirely intuitive - K3b setup also changes the appropriate
permissions on devices so that non-root users can use them. May require
KDE libraries :) but works fine under GNOME.  Drag'n drop user interface
to select files. If you look under tools on the menu there are options
to create new CD projects - but also a neat option just to copy an
existing iso image to a CD.  Also understands about rewritable media
and can offer to scrub off what's previously there before making the new
project.  Doesn't produce coasters. We now return you to your
scheduled programming :)