[Glastonbury] Re: agenda for next meeting & a couple of queries

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Sun Feb 27 15:16:49 GMT 2005

I don't know anything about using Windows stuff under Linux. I migrated lock
stock and barrel over two years ago and I haven't looked back. I'd simply
suggest using OpenOffice, but then I'm quite happy to mark stuff up using a
text editor too. If X-over office doesn't work, I guess the other option is
WINE?

Last Friday 25 February 2005 18:01, info at wccl.co.uk was like:

> I was frustrated the other day when working briefly in win because I
> couldn't access files in the Linux partition. My son has sent me :

No, you can't. Linux can read (and write IIRC) the Windows partition, however.

> explore2fs-1.00pre6.zip
>
> He says he uses this and it should be ok for finding the linux files from
> win. The readme in this software is full of "be careful, backup everything
> before using this.... it might explode your machine" kind of stuff which I
> imagine is the writer very anxious not to be blamed if anything goes wrong
> and I can quite undertand his feelings! But has anyone loaded this in win
> and does it work OK? I am using Win98 SE. We don't want to update it until
> we have to since I don't use it often enough to justify paying out for
> upgrades let alone the hassle of reloading windows YET AGAIN............

The safest way to do it is to make a FAT32 partition (If you're using Win98,
you will already have at least one) and save all the data you want to share
between the two OSs there. Both Windows and Linux can read and write to
FAT32. It does involve a bit of pre-thinking from the Linux side.

I work the way I do because I've found learning to use native Linux tools to
be a lot simpler than this sort of messing about and much much more
extendable. I'm finding it noticeably easier to introduce people to Linux who
are not used to any particular OS as well, which leads me to believe that
GNU/Linux systems are not innately more difficult to use, however migrating
data, procedures and skills can be time consuming and difficult. Probably
your best bet is to find some convenient workaround for now.

cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk