[Glastonbury] distros

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 13 21:06:15 BST 2005

On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 12:32:00PM +0100, Alistair Parsons wrote:
> SuSE 9.3 on servers and at home

Nice distro: nicer now that it's more free - but slightly too "we'll
tell you how to behave" for my taste :)

> although Mandrake 10.1 on this machine cos i cant be bothered to set
> up another server yet

Mandriva - my favourite easy install and difficult upgrade :(

> Ubuntu on PCs for customers, especially laptops, helps that we can buy
> naked laptops now
>
> its a bit too bare for my liking

Red Hat Enterprise 3 or 4: Debian stable: Debian unstable.

I've had a lot of colleagues ask for Debian and not look back :)
Debian unstable got X.org 6.8.2 last night - it upgraded with absolutely
no trouble on an Intel. Some of the more obscure architectures may need
another set of updated binaries - but that's in the works.

> i reckon ive had 1000% growth in customers using linux in over the last 2 years

At work, I'm supporting about 40 developers on "my" Debian server:
people are now using it in preference to other machines because it
provides stuff not readily available under commercial Unixes / Windows.

As a sysadmin and occasional developer (and support person for an entire
extended family) I know which OS I'd choose any day :)

Andy