[Glastonbury] File and printer sharing

Martin Wheeler mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Wed Jul 27 15:13:55 BST 2005

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, tim hall wrote:

> Oh it's in Debian, so I could just apt-get install it. It's just that web
> interfaces are tediously slow on these machines. It's probably better than
> hair tearing. I'll try it.

You could also look at installing swat (the Samba Web Administration Tool)
which is a sort-of standalone set of web-based tools just for Samba.

And as for your Ubuntu machines -- are you sure you've got ssh installed
on them?  I seem to remember having to install it on each machine of a
classroom network running Ubuntu once before folks could ssh into each
other's machines.
Under sarge of course, it's just there from the start.

Can't help you with sane; but installing and using CUPS hasn't usually
been a problem for me (but then I hardly ever use network printing --
usually from single machines), so I won't comment.

Cheers,