[Glastonbury] Re: agenda for next meeting & a couple of queries

info at wccl.co.uk info at wccl.co.uk
Fri Mar 4 17:58:15 GMT 2005

Many thanks for your comments, Tim. Think I haven't ack'd this yet re
WordPerfect etc.

 I've heard it mentioned as not being so good.
> I use Gnumeric when I have to. I am equally inexperienced with
> spreadsheets.

Noted! I thought I had OO spreadsheet sorted but we updated OO recently and
it's doing odd things again. No doubt I'll get it sorted eventually.

 Visible
> codes? - sorry, I had to ask.

Get someone with WordPerfect to show you them- - - Non-WordPerfect users have
no idea what they are missing. Not to say everyone wants to see the codes but
I would guess most people with WordPerfect wouldn't be without them once they
have tried using them. A regular wail in WordPerfect's customer contact group
in the late 1990's (and perhaps still for all I know, I haven't contributed
for quite a while) was that they had been forced by the company they worked
for to transfer to say Word or perhaps some other product which didn't have
the Reveal Codes and they were as a result thoroughly fed up. This was in the
days when PCs were being fitted with Microsoft Word as part of the PC
package. When we bought our first PC, a little before Windows became
ubiquitious, the PC came blank and everything had to be loaded. So we chose
the most famous and most popular WP of the time - Word Perfect.

WordPerfect isn't all that expensive so it's worth having at home anyway.

Perhaps WordPerfect patented this reveal codes thing. I wish OOffice had them.
So far as I recall, OOffice may have been developed from WordStar? I remember
using WordStar in black screen. It wasn't as interesting as WordPerfect and
definitely no revealed codes.

> > I find the Gimp much more complicated than
> > Photohouse in Win and used to revert to Win for that kind of work, but am
> > gradually finding out how Gimp works.
>
> I just read this:
> http://gug.sunsite.dk/docs/Grokking-the-GIMP-v1.0/Grokking_the_GIMP.html
> very useful, a little out of date now. I didn't realise it was that
> different from photoshop, but it's been a while since I used the latter.

I'll look at that. Thanks for the info. I've rarely ever used Photoshop. I had
Photohouse free with a WordPerfect suite years ago and it was fully adequate
for my needs, also exceedingly nice - and easy - to use, even though slightly
buggy. I completely forgot Photohouse existed.

I am sure Gimp is amazing but I rarely have the time these days, as I used to
have, to play with software. I have to learn when the need comes/ask for
hurried help! In the long run I think that wastes time for me and others but
when you are busy, it can be the case.

I'll shut up about word processors now.

Everyone's comments always greatly appreciated.

Regards
Ros
Wells Computer Consultants Ltd