[Glastonbury] USB wireless card

Martin Wheeler mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Sat Mar 5 00:51:21 GMT 2005

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Tony Sumner wrote:

>  I want to switch to Ubuntu and something is stopping me. Ubuntu
> gives me a 2.6.8.1-3-386 kernel and this installs modules p80211 and
> prism2_usb so I thought it would just be a matter of configuring wlan0
> but no.

Do you get any flashing yellow lights *at all* ?
Have you installed wireless-tools ?
What happens when you run 'ifup wlan0' ?

>  and anyway it is
> cheating to use a non-free Windows driver.

Sorry, but for me, that's totally pig-headed dogmatic-stance garbage.

You paid for it when you bought the card.  (Or did you nick the card as
well as the software driver that came with it? :-)

I use ndiswrapper with the Windows driver which came with my Netgear and
have no problem.  (But haven't tried under Ubuntu yet. That's with Debian
testing.)

> I couldn't get ndiswrapper to work

"to work" in what way?  Did you copy the Windows driver over to your hard
drive?  Does apt-get install ndiswrapper barf?  Does ndiswrapper show up
under lsmod?

>   What do you
> think: does Ubuntu support wireless or not?

Well, it sertainly supports Sean's BT card -- out the box.

Trying to help here, but probably need more information from Ubuntu users.