[Glastonbury] Re: agenda for next meeting & a couple of queries

info at wccl.co.uk info at wccl.co.uk
Sun Mar 6 13:26:38 GMT 2005

On Sunday 06 March 2005 09:38, you wrote:

Tim re Word Perfect "Reveal Codes"

> Oh, I wondered whether it was simply the non-printing characters you were
> after.

Word users and similar bereft workpepole always think that! No. Every time you
select any kind of code such as footnote, underline, select, tab settings,
margin changes, a colour change or highlight, suppress page numbering,
header, import a graphic, well you name it there are hundreds or thousands of
them, I don't know how many, you can see all of these in the reveal codes
screen at the point where you made the action. For example, if you import a
graphic, move the cursor in the reveal codes screen (which is usually below
the main screen) and highlight the graphic code and it will expand to tell
you exactly which graphic you've loaded. In the same screen, you can use
select to select a code and move it somewhere else, such as the tab changes
made at some point in the doc. The tab setting code shows you all the tabs
set, their positions. Some codes which have subcodes within them can be
accessed and the sub-codes changed if I remember rightly. I can't think of
any examples. There are extensive things you can do. You can even format the
reveal codes screen if it amuses you to do so (I always did this) so that you
have the colours you want for the codes, the ordinary text, the screen
background etc. Reveal Codes has been available since at least WordPerfect
5.1 and I am pretty sure earlier than that.

When I first used Word as during occasional temping, having only used
WordPerfect in our business before that, I hated it. I was thoroughly fed up
when documents went haywire and there was no way I could see to resuve them
because no reveal codes. I wasn't used to what I must call "working in the
dark". In that respect OOffice is no better, of course. And worse, offices
where I temped rarely seemed to have something as simple as necessary as .bak
set up so if the doc went wrong, you couldn't return to the last but one
saved version. With reveal codes, I usually didn't need to go back unless it
was too much hassle to move heaps of codes, I could look at the reveal codes
screen, find the offending codes that had made a mess of the doc and remove
them.

I just hope WordPerfect for Linux returns soon.#

> > I am sure Gimp is amazing but I rarely have the time these days, as I
> > used to have, to play with software. I have to learn when the need
> > comes/ask for hurried help! In the long run I think that wastes time for
> > me and others but when you are busy, it can be the case.
>
> In that case I really recommend OO draw.

I'll look at that too. Thanks very much.

Regards
Ros
Wells Computer Consultants Ltd