[Glastonbury] Re: here we stand... on a rocky shore..

info at wccl.co.uk info at wccl.co.uk
Sun Nov 13 15:17:41 GMT 2005

> Glad to hear it. I had someone complaining at me this morning
> that McAfee _forced_ them to use IE. The only other app. that
> forces you to use IE is Microsoft's own Windows Update :)

That's disgraceful. Thank goodness I stopped using McAfee. (Since I have to be
sure I don't send on  anything that I've received containing a virus, I use
Sophos for checks.)

>>i now have a good supplier of bare laptops with no OS, they
> > arent as cheap as Acer laptops etc, BUT they do have serial (for
> > external modems) port and proper LPT ports ( ive had a lot of grief
> > with the USB to LPT adapters under linux for use with old but good
> > Laser printers) and run perfectly with Ubuntu, which is by all
> > accounts the best distro for use with laptops. If anyones interested
> > ill dig up a price,

Useful to know. Why not quote us the price and then we have all the vital info
if we want it?

> > Alistair
> > (who is sorry for not ever attending a meeting and has only met a
> > couple of people on the list)

Problem for me is the meetings are on Wednesdays and I have very early
breakfast business meeting to get to EVERY Thursday, and I mean early, with
some preparation the evening before. And some evening business meetings I
really do have to attend are on a Wed evening so there are persistent
clashes, or Wed breakfast meetings so I've had enough by 6pm.....

Someone thought the mailing list is dead. It seems to arrive often enough not
to be! For me it's valuable as I'm not tecchie trained and I learn from it,
also can get much-appreciated help.

Ros