[Glastonbury] here we stand... on a rocky shore...

Ian Dickinson i.j.dickinson at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 19:43:52 GMT 2005

Hi Sean,
> That is as may be, but most web design forums put cross-browser
> compatability high on their agenda...
And so do I, but sometimes the only way to achieve it is by exploiting
bugs in CSS parsers (e.g. the famous ill-formed comment bug) or
client-side Javascript to do browser detection. Ick and double-ick,
not necessarily in that order :-)

> The ones that just design for IE are being lazy... because *and this
> important* the truth is that the W3C standards (which is what one
> *should* be adhering to) are followed far more closely by Opera and by
> Mozilla/Firefox than they are by Microsoft.
Oh I agree, and personally I always validate my xhtml and css.

> IE is increasingly being seen as "the bad guy"... the one that doesn't
> conform... the one that web designers have to "hack" in order to
> accommodate.
Yep.

> I think cross-platform issues are being dealt with.  Java is a good
> example of a technology that makes the platform redundant... as long as
> there is a JRE your application should run.
Sorry, I think I was being too obscure in the point I was making. In
answer to your original question about re-invigorating the Linux group
I was just trying to be honest in saying that while I happily use
Linux, the OS per se isn't really my main interest. I try to factor
the underlying platform out of my designs as much as I can. There are
lots of things I'd be happy to talk about at a Lugog meeting, but
really none of them are *particular* to Linux.

Cheers,
Ian