[Glastonbury] Calloo Callay

Martin Wheeler mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Thu Oct 27 16:45:21 BST 2005

                         O   F R A B J O U S   D A Y !

Well, thanks to something Greg wrote to the list, I was able to suss what
my laptop *didn't* like soundwise; and from there work out over the
weekend what it wasn't going to barf over; with the result that I now
have perfect working sound under kernel 2.6.  At last!

[The trick is to realise that the Toshiba ac97 device does NOT like (not
nohow) any form of ARTS or ALSA.
Which is a bit of a bugger really, as bits of both usually get installed
by default if you're using your box to demo multiple X managers, as I do.
However, it just *lurvs* all things OSS.]

So I spent the weekend religiously chucking off everything ALSA or ARTS,
and adding OSS stuff.
Bingo!
(Err .. once I'd re-installed both totem and xine, that is.  And a few
libraries here and there.  And the odd utility or two.)

So Patrick (and Sean) ... that may be your solution.
It's actually easier than I make it sound -- I've got a *lot* of
extraneous stuff on my laptop.

Many thanks to all those who posted the reminder of how to get into Ubuntu
as root -- I'd already remembered before I went back to the list, but it
took me an hour or so!
Must not these things down somewhere -- or use the list archives a bit
more.

Patrick -- the command to mount you memory stick is :

      mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt

where /dev/sda works for my machine; as I plug the device in, a message
comes up on the terminal telling me what where the device is to be found;
and /mnt is whatever directory you create off the root directory to mount
your memory stick on.  (I use usb-memstick, usb-camera, etc.)

Cheers all.