[Glastonbury] Re: Glastonbury Digest, Vol 94, Issue 3

info at wccl.co.uk info at wccl.co.uk
Fri Sep 23 08:14:56 BST 2005

Rick wrote

> And it may be anti-social of me, but when people insist on sending me
> documents in Word format despite polite requests not to do so, they
> inevitably get them returned as plain ASCII.

Wish I could do that but there's a limit to upsetting clients!

But I get the impression most companies have some cutdown version of Word for
networked computers since they can't convert docs sent in other formats and
often don't even know what another format might be? Around the time Word
became ubiquitous, I was still sending out WordPerfect docs (having refused
point blank to use loathesome Word)...... and would get people sending them
back pointing out they were unreadable. But all you have to do, I'd respond,
is convert them and this is how, I do it all the time with your Word
docs ..... Then I found out their Word was cut down or something and they
couldn't convert anything, the facility wasn't even there. I concluded it was
a shady plot to rid the world of non-Word Wordprocessors!

Trouble is, we had to surrender... We can't carry on business if our clients
are tied to Word and no other and of the absolutely unshakeable opinion only
Word exists and Word is the standard etc etc........

Well, one can but work in OOffice and subversively convert it to Word. I may,
following on my own query re alterations in the codes, decide to send
everything as pdf and see if I get complaints about that.

Martin I think
> Anyone got any *firm* information on the stance of the legal profession
> these days re. use of MSWord?  Time was, it was banned, IIRC.

Interesting thought.

Ros
Wells Computer Consultants